Jimmy Westenberg / Android Authority
Hit the sidewalk with an empty pocket. Wear OS users can finally download Spotify music directly to their devices. With the latest Spotify app update, paid subscribers can now download albums, playlists and podcasts to their Wear OS smartwatch.
All in all, Spotify has finally brought much-needed music features to Wear OS users. Prior to this, Wear OS did not support offline music playback from any popular music services, including Apple Music, Pandora, and even YouTube Music. This is a very important obstacle for runners and other athletes who prefer to exercise without a mobile phone.The old solution was to load and stream local music files through the app Navigation musicNow, thanks to Spotify, smart watches running Wear OS 2.0 or higher (including the new Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic) can use offline playback support. The update will also affect devices from Fossil, Mobvoi and Suunto in the coming weeks.
read more: The best Wear OS watch | The best workout earplugs
How to add the Spotify app to your Wear OS smartwatch
If you don’t have Spotify on your device yet, now is the time. Pick up your phone and smartwatch, and follow the instructions below to download Spotify on Wear OS.
- Open Google Store On your Wear OS device.
- Click the search icon and search Spotify.
- Tap Install And allow the application to be downloaded to your device.
- After downloading the Spotify app, tap Open You will see a pairing prompt with a code.
- Open spotify.com/pair On your phone, computer or tablet Log in Use your Spotify credentials or register (if you haven’t already).
- When prompted, Enter code Appears on your watch face and select A pair.
How to download Spotify music to your Wear OS smartwatch
It is easy to download Spotify music to Wear OS watches. Just follow these simple steps to add a playlist or podcast to your device.
- Open the Spotify app Find the song, album or podcast you want to download on the Wear OS smartwatch.
- Scroll down to just below the file title and tap Download watch.
- Wait for the status bar to show that your download is complete.
- Select the downloaded music or podcast from your music library and start listening.
To track which files have been downloaded to your device, check the green arrow next to each song or podcast. Free users on Spotify can download podcasts directly to their Wear OS devices, but still need to use Wi-Fi or cellular connections to stream music. Just make sure you are running the latest version of Spotify.