Eric Zeman/Android Authority
Samsung has invested a lot of money in foldable phones, and even skipped the Galaxy Note flagship product and switched to Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Galaxy Z Fold 3 devices. In fact, mobile director TM Roh even said that foldable is the “new mainstream.”
However, is this agreed by our readers?We ask Android Authority Do readers think that foldable products are indeed the “new mainstream”? This is how you vote.
Is foldable really the “new mainstream” of smartphones?
We released this poll on August 13, and so far, only more than 3,300 votes have been counted. The most popular result? Well, 41% of respondents said that foldable devices are not yet the new mainstream, but they will.
Looking at the current foldable pattern, this is an understandable choice. Today’s most popular foldable phones do not seem to have reached numbers comparable to popular flagship phones. We also doubt whether most people actually see a large number of foldable products in the wild. Nevertheless, more brands will join in 2021. Therefore, in terms of sales data, it seems that the only way out is to rise.
Our verdict: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 review-no Note replacement, but foldable
At the same time, 32.6% of readers said that foldable products are not the new mainstream at all. Reviews indicate that weight and thickness, durability, battery life, and price are all preventing foldable products from gaining mainstream status.
Finally, 26.2% of respondents said that foldable is indeed the new mainstream. I fully understand why readers would vote for this option. After all, compared to traditional smartphones, devices like the Galaxy Z Fold series are heavier, more expensive, and have a fragile screen, but being able to put a tablet in your pocket is a big advantage.
- Sky high: Until the price drops.
- Leo: Only when Apple launched a foldable iPhone two years later, it was called “overlapping screen” or something similar, and said that this was their major innovation.
- Melissa K: The only problem I encountered with my Z2, *knock on the wood*… mobile phone holder. I am shooting content videos and cannot use this phone on a tripod or pan/tilt (Ronin SC). Suuuper aggravated. ((Too thick when closed)) I found a car holder that can hold it firmly! …Unfortunately, due to the weight of the phone, it often crashes. If we “mainstream” foldable products, can we provide them with accessories? ! ?
- Thomas Vaznis: First of all, a lower price and more memory are needed
- Robert Palmer: I think Samsung’s head of mobile means that in addition to other mainstream, foldable phones are the new mainstream. What he considers more is the category of foldable equipment. Due to the drop in prices, foldable devices are no longer regarded as exclusive devices, but more mainstream like other mainstream mobile phones.
- I would say: Regardless of the price, I will not care about it for a long time-because the price, size, durability, battery life, etc. all have been affected. When I have something useful and I want to replace it with something…”new things” should be better…upgrade…it is currently no better than a standard phone.
- Anonymous 42: Of course, when Apple finally makes a foldable iPhone or iPad.
Thank you for voting and commenting in this poll! What is needed for foldable phones to be more popular than traditional flagship phones? Let us know below!