Oliver Cragg / Android Authority
- In Seattle, a Samsung mobile phone spontaneously fired on a landing plane.
- The crew had no choice but to deploy an evacuation slide and take away all passengers. No one was seriously injured.
- The report indicates that the phone is Galaxy A21.
Last night, at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, a landing plane encountered serious problems. A fire produced enough smoke and the crew began to use inflatable slides to evacuate all passengers in an emergency. No one was seriously injured.
Allegedly, the mobile phone exploded spontaneously and caused a small fire. The crew used a battery pack—an emergency device on most flights—to extinguish the fire. However, by then, the smog was widespread enough that the crew deemed it necessary to evacuate.
The incident was dealt with quickly and did not have a negative impact on any other flights on the day.
All lithium-ion batteries used in smartphones and other electronic products are at risk of fire and explosion. This should not be considered a problem with the Galaxy A21 or any other Samsung phones. This is probably an isolated incident, but it happened at a bad time. Thankfully, no one was injured.