- The new Plex Super Sonic feature eliminates the creation of playlists based on metadata.
- Instead, the new system will “listen” to your music and make appropriate playlists based on this knowledge.
- The new feature is only available to Plex Pass customers.
When you create an automated playlist on the music streaming platform of your choice, it is almost certain that it is based on metadata. In other words, Radiohead tracks will be paired with tracks by artists of similar genres and other Radiohead tracks.
However, in the case of Radiohead, the playlist may become messy. Early guitar-based Radiohead and In Rainbows era Radiohead did not mix well. This will not only cause problems when selecting other artists in the playlist, but even Radiohead songs in the playlist will conflict. This is a problem that the new Plex Super Sonic feature will try to fix.
You can also take a look: I gave up Google Play Music for my Plex server
Super Sonic uses “advanced neural networks” to actually “listen” to your music library. This way, when you make a playlist based on a hard rock song from The Police, you will get other hard rock songs—not some lively Sting solo tracks.
When it comes to automatic playlists, this will change the rules of the game. However, this feature is built into Plex’s standalone music player called Plexamp, which is exclusively for Plex Pass users. This means that Plex fans in the free tier will be excluded.
However, Plex Super Sonic has more features.
Plex Super Sonic: A series of functions for music lovers
In addition to the new sound-based playlist creation tool, Super Sonic can also do other cool things:
- Mix for you: This Plex Super Sonic feature will check the albums that you have frequently rotated recently, combine them into a mix, and then add albums with similar sounds.
- Track and album radio: This feature replaces Plex Mix. It will play similar-sounding tracks or complete albums.
- on this day: This will tell you which albums in the library are released on any given day. It will create a playlist of similar-sounding albums for you.
Super Sonic is now available in the latest version of Plexamp. You need to enable it in Plex Media Server first, it does not support AMD CPU-based servers.You can Plex blog post.